Hexie Dragon Top… Finished!


It’s still not the best photo… but I think the colors are correct.  I’ve been waiting for a sunny day with helpers at the same time, and it just hasn’t worked out until today.  Even so, it’s hard to get a good photograph of something this big and flowy. Our feet are left in for size perspective 😉 

… so what do you think??  I am loving it!  Is it okay to say that about your own work?  Hope not  ~ after a committed year of stitching, it feels pretty awesome to have it finished.

 I’ve been contemplating just how I’m going to quilt this.  At the last PMQG meeting, Angela Walters was there and spoke to us about free motion quilting.  She was very inspiring and I loved her quilting work!  She likes dense quilting… and so do I!  Even though she uses a longarm, and I’m working with my basic Singer ~ I think with the right set up and practice, I can quilt this well enough. We’ll see.  I need to think on that for a while before jumping in. 

In the meantime, I’m starting some other projects and I’m pretty excited to start something new… and a little sad to see the end of this one!

ps:  If you’d like to see the beginning of this project, go here to my old blog archives.

So Much

You may have noticed my blog moved ~ this will be my first post at GailLizette.blogspot.com.  Please follow, or re-follow my sewing updates.  I love getting all the feedback!  There are many reasons for the changes, but that’s a story for another day.

The PMQG All Day Sew that happened last Saturday.  It was great, as usual ~ I started two pillow covers for my daughter using a new technique a saw on Elizabeth Hartman’s blog: quilting as you go.  I had a lot of fun trying different quilting patterns and practicing.
Here’s a pic of the 2 unfinished pillow tops:

And here are some close ups of my favorite quilted areas:

Funny story too:  After the All Day Sew, I went out to the parking lot to find my car missing!  I called my husband and he came and rescued me and we made a police report as soon as I got home.  At 3:40 that morning we get a call from the local police saying they found the car and if we can get there in 15 minutes, they won’t have it towed…. so we jump out of bed and take a bleary-eyed drive to meet up with the police and our car.  Turns out some guy had a similar key that worked in the door handle and he got it jammed in the ignition enough to get it started.  So we were able to start the car and drive it home.  The next day my husband was able to work the key out ~ so it was a very dramatic  non-issue

A couple other updates:  The dragon quilt top is completely finished!  I’m waiting for a sunny day to get a good photo, but it will be soon, I promise!  I showed it at the last PMQG meeting and it was warmly received and it made me feel pretty good ~ almost too good.  Got so nervous in front of the group I completely forgot everything I wanted to say about it.  Oh well… another time!

I also made a cute little reversible apron for the Michael Miller Stripe Challenge.  It was really fun, bright fabric to work with:

Okay… I think that’s about it for now.  Thanks for joining me at this new site ~ I hope to regularly blog through the next year!

All Pulled….

 Here’s the box of all the pulled paper pieces from the dragon quilt… and thread too.  I’m done!! I feel like I should throw it in the air for confetti effect in celebration, but I don’t really feel like cleaning it up.  So, for now, they’ll just sit in the box.  It’s hard to tell how many pieces are there, so I stuck my hand in for a better visual:

If you’re wondering… this is what 3,942 1/2″ hexie pieces look like without any fabric.  What a great tool ~ the quilt top is very square and lies flat… which is a great start before actually quilting!  Today I’m working on the border to finish the top.  Well, actually, I think I’ll be cleaning my sewing room first, then the border.  Priorities! 


Since I’m needing to do a Dragon Quilt update… I thought it would be fun to show the back of the quilt… the B-Side.  Funny how all the work of a hand-stitched quilt gets covered up with the quilting, no one gets to see all the actual work. 
So… here is where I’m at on the Dragon Quilt ~ from the backside:

I’m OVER halfway!!  Actually 3 strips over the halfway-point, so each strip from here on in will get shorter and quicker to stitch. 
Here’s two close-ups of the backside:

When I stitched the long strips of hexies together, I used a ladder stitch, and now, sewing the strips to each other, I’m using a whipstitch which is working very well to keep the quilt nice and flat.  There are still papers inside each hexie that I will need to take out… but I don’t need to think about that quite yet!  I do have a plan for that, and I think it will go quickly enough.  I’ll post about it when I get there. 

For now, I’m just keeping on~  I’m figuring at least 2 more months to finish the top of this quilt… then onto the actual quilting!!  Ideas for quilting patterns anyone??  I’m thinking of free-motion-quilting along with some hand-quilting ~ so there are lots of options.

Update: Dragon Quilt

This project is sloooowwwly coming together… here is where I’m at today:

I still have 6 full strips to get to the halfway point… then it’s all downhill from there baby!  I’m super happy with how this is turning out ~ and I’m starting to design the border for this too ~ it’s going to be very simple with a little color pop.  It’s nice to see these photos for me too ~ helps put the sewing time in perspective. 

If you’re interested in starting your own hexie project there is a nice hexie-quilt-along here with lots of information on how to sew these little addicting things.