It’s snowing again in Portland! It’s a bit rare that it actually accumulates, but when it does (like last week), everything sort of shuts down around here. The roads get very icy and there are a lot of curves and hills that can be treacherous.
Luckily, I just got back from a dental appointment just ahead of this upcoming storm.
I received some unfortunate news about my teeth. So far there are 3 crowns that have become ‘dis-adhered’ and will need to be replaced. I also have one little cavity. The crowns are what get me a little upset because they are all new – like within the last 2 years… and they are not cheap!
So, before they replace the crowns (for a 3rd time) they plan on doing some resin mold or casting of my teeth to check my bite and to see if my TMJ has become degenerative. If it is, it may be affecting my bite and causing certain areas to hit too hard, and it will need to be addressed before new work is done.
I am now thinking of a way to make extra funds to cover this dental work. I’m starting to consider what I can do in the quilting world that can garner that kind of cash… and I don’t think there are many avenues open there – but I haven’t really tried anything either 😉 Going to put my head into brainstorming mode… maybe I’ll have an idea by the end of this 31 Day Blog Challenge! I’m also just going to put this out there into the universe… you never know who might have the perfect temporary project for me!
For your viewing pleasure today, I’m re-sharing a quilt I made for one of my closest friends in 2012. It’s a string quilt and it’s bright and sunny to offset this snowy grey day!
It’s pretty obvious I haven’t been too inspired lately… otherwise I would have posted something more last month.
Luckily the sun was out yesterday and it’s been peeking around today too, so I’m trying to soak up as many of those rays as possible, just to lift spirits and feel better. It inspired me to photograph my newest quilt:
I call it “Spring String”. It’s my first string quilt… the possibilites are endless when it comes to string quilts, I have a feeling I’ll be making more of them. It’s a foundation paper method and I used newsprint as the paper that I stitched to. I made my stitches small so the paper tore out easily.
This quilt is for one of my closest friends who is also from Minnesota. The colors are super bright and in these grey months, that brightness will be great! The Seed Packet fabric was used a little on front, but became the main focus for the back:
Since we’re both Minnesota Grown, AND she’s an avid gardener, this is the perfect fabric for her:
This was a fun quilt for me to sew, the back even more so than the front. My husband just printed a label for me to sew on, so it’s almost finished. I’m happy to be done with this quilt, and I’m trying to finish up a few projects in the sewing room before I pack it all up.
Yep… we’re definitely moving, still unsure as to where ~ staying positive that this will be a change for the good and trying to get ready for it. Thanks for all your support!
There is an eminent move in my family’s near future, but I’m ready. Before packing I need to finish up all my current sewing projects. I spent some time yesterday and I almost have this quilt finished:
It’s the mini quilt I started in the Luke Haynes class a few weeks back ~ I added some quilting and a key! I’m working on the binding today, so that’s one thing off my list.
I finished this block for the NEON fabric block challenge ~ it’s so totally eighty’s. I like it, but I’ve seen some blocks from other members that blow me away!
Started another quilt too… it’s going to be a baby quilt for a friend who had her baby 3 months ago. Finally getting to it!
And I’ve started quilting my Spring String Quilt and adding the binding. I wanted to get ALL of this done plus PMQG BOM before the meeting tomorrow night… who knows… I still have some time 😉
Since I finished my Dragon Quilt, I’ve been feeling a little lost… I really miss having my hand sewing project to grab anytime. Plus I feel like my machine sewing is pretty average.
Started a new quilt ~ YAY! Here it is so far on my design board:
It’s a basic string quilt with a few twists. I’ve never made one before ~ they are supposed to be made of scrap fabrics, but honestly, I hardly have any scrap fabrics. So for this quilt I’m using a bunch of fat quarters I’ve collected. I had to really work on my color choices as I really don’t want to have to buy more fabric. Sacrilege, I know… but we are on a super frugal budget for the next few months as we were hit hard by the IRS this year, so I can’t be spending any more than I absolutely have to. It makes quilting much more of a challenge… but I’m up for it!
I feel like my machine sewing is pretty average… so I am working on some important skills:
- perfecting the 1/4″ seam allowance on my machine
- fabric choices so that my quilts are more dynamic with true negative space
- squaring up my blocks accurately
- smoother free-motion quilting with a more even stitch-length on my domestic Singer
I still have a ways to go on all these goals, but it’s good to have them. I haven’t been able to sew as much as I’d like to right now anyway… my daughter and her friend have been using my machine to sew their Cosplay Costumes for Sakura Con this year. My daughter has never used a sewing machine before, so I’m a pretty proud mama that she can make these fully lined, fitted dresses all by herself:
…. AND work with fake fur!! When the costumes are complete, I’ll take a model shot. These girls are pretty darn cute in costume!